We are currently in our “Week of Ham” – I bought a medium-sized spiral-sliced ham for Easter, and now it needs to get eaten! Ham will be appearing at breakfast, lunch and dinner all week. Since I’m not eating meat, the girls and Brett are going to have to step up and take on my usual portion as well, but no one is complaining. They all LOVE ham!
There seems to be a lot of meat on the menu this week and only one vegetarian dinner. I really wasn’t feeling very inspired to come up with more than one vegan dishes for some reason.
Tonight’s dinner, Pasta with Ham, Spinach & Peppers is super easy to prepare, and one of the girls’ and Brett’s most favorite dishes, ever. In a large strainer place one bag of baby spinach, and 2 red bell peppers that have been cored and cut into thin strips. Cook 12 oz. of farfalle (bow tie) pasta until al dente in a large pan of water. When the pasta is done, pour it and the hot water over the spinach and peppers – the heat from the water and pasta will “cook” the vegetables. Place all back into the pasta pot, including 1-2 cups diced ham, and then toss with Alouette sun-dried tomato and basil cheese spread (or something similar). Add salt and pepper to taste . . . and that’s it! I usually serve it with garlic bread and artichokes, if I can get them.
Here’s what we’re eating this week:
- Tuesday: Pasta with Ham, Spinach and Peppers; garlic bread. I am going to have some pasta with marinara sauce.
- Wednesday: Anniversary night, so leftovers for the girls while Brett and I go to Merriman’s in Poipu.
- Thursday: Ham & cheese panini; (vegan) potato salad. I’m going to make myself a vegetable panini of some kind.
- Friday: Fish tacos; Mexican rice. We picked up a lovely piece of locally caught ono at Costco, and will grill it and shred for the tacos, then top with shredded cabbage and mango salsa.
- Saturday: Fried rice with ham. The ham will be added after I take my serving.
- Sunday: Grilled chicken drumsticks; (vegan) stuffing; the vegetable will depend on what we find at the farmers’ market.
- Monday: Drunken noodles with tofu. This recipe was a big hit the last time I made it.
Here’s hoping it all goes according to plan!