Oh boy. Last Wednesday I was talking with Brett and accidentally gave away the destination of the Mystery Vacation™. It was kind of funny though. I let it slip out when we were talking about things we needed to take care of before we left, and when Brett didn’t react I asked him if he had heard what I said. No, he said. Are you sure? I asked (maybe he really doesn’t listen to anything I say – LOL). But, a couple of minutes later his eye lit up and he said, You said ___! We’re going to ___? We’re going to ___! WOW!!!
We had the girls guess the destination that evening – it took WenYu just six yes/no questions (she’s very good at this). Giving away the destination early has turned out OK though because Brett’s been in his element checking on all the things he’ll be responsible for, like getting us to our destination and stuff like that. It’s also given us some extra time to talk about where we’re going and think more about what we can do while we’re there.
The best part for me though is that Brett and the girls are very, very happy with and excited about what I planned. I done good.
And, my Social Security arrived this past week! YEAH!
Anyhow, this afternoon (actually late morning here; Hawai’i doesn’t observe DST) I am:
- Reading: I finished Mary Bartnikowski’s book (Everyday Naked – loved it!) but am totally bogged down in the other two books I’ve been reading. This last week hasn’t been the best for reading anyway. I’ve climbed into bed and gone right off to sleep every night.
- Listening to: It’s another breezy, but quiet morning here so far. Can I just say that I ♥♥♥ the sound of palm trees blowing in the breeze? There have been a couple of roosters competing with each other for who could be the loudest, but they finally gave it up.
- Watching: Brett and I are still working our way through Bates Motel, but Midsomer Murders just put up four new episodes so we’ve watched a couple of those so far, and will watch another one tonight. I loved the final episode of Downton Abbey last week – lots of happy endings – but am now in withdrawal. WenYu and I both want to go through the whole series again.
- Cooking/baking: We’re still trying to finish up everything we can before our departure, but I forgot that the girls were attending a party last night and the sweet potato burritos I had planned were bumped to tonight’s dinner. Breakfast this morning for Brett and the girls was bacon, scrambled eggs and English muffins along with some fresh papaya. I had an English muffin with cashew butter.
- Happy I accomplished last week: Other than letting it slip where we are going on vacation (not sure this was an accomplishment, but it turned out to be a good thing), not a whole lot. The weather has been cool (actually cold at times), rainy and windy and not conducive for doing more than taking care of things inside and getting stuff ready for traveling.
- Thinking of good things that happened last week: I had a terrific, but too short visit with my friend Joy on Monday. Hopefully it won’t take us so long to get together again! We put $2.65 in our change/$1 bill jar, our change from the farmers’ market because that’s all the spending we did this past week. I rode the exercise bicycle three times every day and have upped my m.p.h. as well as the distance traveled and calories burned. It’s almost time to tighten up the resistance again!
- Looking forward to next week: Mary B. and I have rescheduled our photo session for Tuesday morning after having to cancel last week due to the lack of sunshine. And . . . we depart on our Mystery Vacation™!
- Grateful for: I’m feeling so thankful today that our girls still enjoy traveling with Brett and me. They are excited about our upcoming vacation, and future trips we have on our calendar. Meiling said the other day that she still loves our family vacations and hopes to have the chance to do one again with us in the future (she couldn’t take time from work to go on the Mystery Vacation™).
- Bonus question: Do you suffer from motion sickness? Yes and no. I had it pretty bad when I was young, but then figured out that was because my dad liked to drive with all the windows rolled up while he puffed away on his cigarettes. Ugh. I can’t remember the last time I was car sick, it’s been so long. I occasionally feel queasy on long airplane flights, but Dramamine or Bonine takes care of it. Chimes ginger candy helps too. I’d probably get airsick though in a small plane, and I have no idea if my stomach could handle a helicopter ride. I do get seasick easily, so am never all that excited about going on a cruise or out on a boat unless I can be out on deck the whole time with the breeze blowing in my face. Brett of course is the proverbial ‘old salt,’ and nothing smaller than a hurricane upsets his equilibrium.
How is your Sunday afternoon going? Did you set your clocks forward (very happy we don’t observe DST here in Hawai’i!)? What did you do this past week?