I had another successful week following the menu plan. The only change I made is barely worth mentioning: I substituted coleslaw for cucumber pickles when I discovered half of a cabbage in the produce drawer. Last week’s new recipe, Garlic Tofu with rice, was a hit with all of us, and I think our favorite of the three vegan recipes I tried this month (we liked them all though).
This coming week is the last in February, and as I’m still not missing meat, eggs or dairy I’m going to continue with eating vegan for another month . . . for the most part. I have decided however to add back in seafood and honey, if I want it. I have no plans to rush out and stock up on either item, or include it in my daily eating, but it’s hard to live in Hawai’i and not be able enjoy all the wonderful fresh fish that’s available. I admit to craving a good fish taco ;-). Likewise, honey occasionally appears in items that would otherwise be vegan, and it just doesn’t make sense to me to refuse to eat something over a tiny bit of honey.
This week’s plan:
- Monday: Mark Bittman’s Paella with tomatoes; sautéed Swiss chard. The paella will be made with vegetable broth, and the chard sautéed in olive oil with some garlic.
- Tuesday: Ginger-pork pita sandwiches with cucumber pickles; Asian chopped salad. I’ll be substituting sesame-peanut noodles for my sandwich.
- Wednesday: Spaghetti with marinara and grilled Italian sausages; garlic bread; green salad. I’ll have one of my vegan sausages.
- Thursday: Slow cooker chicken adobo with bok choy and steamed rice. Carrot ginger soup and vegan egg salad sandwich for me.
- Friday: Barbecued pork ribs; stuffing; cucumber pickles. I’m going to make the stuffing with vegetable broth so it’s vegan, and I’ll probably have some vegan meatballs.
- Saturday: Crispy baked tofu with spicy dipping sauce; vegetable spring rolls; soba salad.
- Sunday: Vegetable sukiyaki, steamed rice. Without the meat sukiyaki is vegan (and still very delicious!).
Fingers crossed again that it all works out. I’ll be offline for the next week or so, and for now plan to keep posting our weekly menu plan when I come back.