I’ll start with the bad news first.
We have the following expenses coming up for WenYu and YaYu in the next few months:
- Swim team banquet: $80 ($40 each)
- Track uniforms: $20 ($10 each)
- Running shoes for YaYu: ~$80 – $90, give or take
- Sports physicals: $24+ ($12 co-pay each but there’s usually a little more)
- March track invitational on Oahu: $400 – $600 ($200 – $300 each)
- AP Exams: $460 (exams are $92 each – 1 for YaYu, 4 for WenYu.)
- YaYu’s annual eye exam and year’s supply of contacts: $350
- Unknowns: Don’t know yet if WenYu will be going to prom or not, and we have to purchase lei for her graduation, including a haku to wear on her head.
We’ve already decided the girls will not be attending the track invitational on Oahu in March, and thankfully grad night and WenYu’s graduation paraphernalia (gown, mortarboard, tassel, etc.) has already been taken care of as well as her graduation present, but that’s still a LOT of money going out in a short period of time. Extended family members will help cover the cost of some of WenYu’s lei, and she will also receive some from friends (but then also has to give some to friends as well). YaYu and I are also going to make a couple of fun lei for her.
It’s also looking like YaYu will be attending summer school as well (more $$), so our June trip to Oahu will either be cancelled or get moved to later in the summer.
On the bright side however:
- Brett got a Hawaiian Airlines Visa card: When we spend $1000 in the next 90 days, he will earn 50,000 bonus miles (!!!), plus, with the purchase of one ticket he will receive a companion ticket at 50% off (and if we buy them using the card we will earn double miles for the $$$ spent). Along with our other accumulated miles the bonus will give us enough to get Meiling and WenYu to and from the mainland twice at no cost, a potential savings of over $2500. There doesn’t appear to be a deadline for the 50% off companion ticket, so we plan to hold off and use that savings for our Japan 2017 trip! We’ll use the Hawaiian card on the Mystery Vacation™ and then pay it off as soon as we’re home!
You lose some, but you win some too.