We were supposed to be out of the house this afternoon for a showing, but that was cancelled a short while ago. Supposedly they will be rescheduling something next weekend, but I’ll believe it when it happens. The house has been listed for a month now and this would have been the first showing. I’m so happy that I’m not the one selling this house!
I think we may have finally defeated the ants here although it did seem for a while like they were going to take over. The first few days we put out the poison the ants would come, eat/drink it all up, and then come back with their friends for more! I was beginning to think we had been sold a bill of goods with this Terro everyone had raved about, but then three days ago we woke up to . . . no ants! They haven’t been back since, so hopefully they finally all died in their sleep back in their nest or wherever they live here.
It’s been a bit of a bittersweet weekend as well – WenYu (maybe) ran in her last cross country meet yesterday morning. Almost four years ago, right before she started high school she decided she wanted to try cross country, even though she had never run before. She thought she might like it, so we called the high school coach, he put her into summer training, and the rest, as they say, is history. She’s finishing up high school cross country as one of her team’s co-captains, and with the girls’ team winning first place for the island. One of WenYu’s scholarship essays was about what cross country has meant to her over the years, that while you run for your team, you also run for yourself, always challenging yourself to run better and faster than you did in the last race. She’s hoping that wherever she ends up going to school next year that she’ll still be able to run and race.
This afternoon I am:
- Reading: I am finally going to start A Pleasure and A Calling this evening. I fell asleep before my head hit the pillow almost every evening this week so got very little reading done, and feel glad that I finally got Atomic Sushi finished.
- Listening to: It’s nice and breezy today so the palms and other trees are making a nice background to the birds chirping and the chickens squawking. No one has fired up a lawnmower . . . yet.
- Watching: Brett and I are nearly done with Lewis, but still have a few more seasons of Midsomer Murders to get through. We’re going to watch Band of Brothers when we finish Lewis. I enjoyed watching it while Brett was out of town but Brett would like to see it. I’m looking forward to picking up things I missed the first time around.
- Cooking/baking: Brett made blueberry pancakes for breakfast, and I made some candied green tea almonds this morning – oh my, they are tasty! I am going to have to be a very good girl and a very careful girl so that I don’t eat them all too quickly. Dinner tonight will be spaghetti with meat sauce, garlic bread and salad.
- Happy I accomplished this past week: We again didn’t throw away any food this past week except for a small piece of goat cheese that had gotten shoved to the back of the fridge and forgotten. Things can spoil so quickly here and you really have to be on your game to get things eaten up. We also spent less than $15 at the farmer’s market this week, a new low amount, but we still brought home a basketful of good stuff.
- Looking forward to next week: I don’t know if looking forward to is the right term, but this is the week we will know if WenYu made it to the finalist round of the scholarship she applied for. I think anxious is a better description of how we’re all feeling around here. We will be thrilled if she earns finalist status because that brings rewards even if you don’t end up winning one of the full scholarships. Based on everything I’ve read I think she maybe has a 50-50 chance of becoming a finalist. Fingers are crossed, etc.
- Grateful for: My life and all that I have been given. Every day is a gift.
- Bonus question: Halloween is coming! What’s your favorite candy bar? Although I’m not a big candy fan, frozen Reese’s peanut butter cups are definitely my favorite these days. Butterfingers and Almond Joys were favorites when I was young, but haven’t had either in years. I also used to enjoy Payday candy bars, but they don’t taste like they did in the past – the middle these days is hard and flavorless where it used to be soft and caramel-ly under the salted peanuts. My favorite candy bar ever though were the frozen Milkshake bars we used to get at the swim park during a summer I spent back with family in Indiana. I don’t know if it was just the time and place, but they always tasted so good. I haven’t seen a Milkshake bar in forever though – I wonder if they even make them any more? My least favorite Halloween candy, hands down, is candy corn. Or anything flavored lime or cherry.
I hope you are enjoying a lovely Sunday afternoon, and that you had a great week!