I’m still playing the waiting game here, but hopefully will learn something tomorrow or Tuesday about the bump on my nose. I can remember a time in the past where my stomach would have been turning itself in knots over something like this, but these days I’m all about having a “whatever will be, will be” attitude. Worrying myself silly over it isn’t going to change anything.
WenYu got started on her college and scholarship applications this weekend. Let me just say again (because we went through this last year with Meiling) that I am so glad not to be applying to college these days. The pressure is incredible, both real and contrived. Senior year is bad enough as it is, but the college application process, even for a state school, takes things to a whole new level. WenYu is an amazingly calm and serene young woman, but we’ve already watched her a couple of time have to step back and center herself because of what’s already been put on her plate.
Anyway, this afternoon I am:
- Reading: I finally started Snow Country this past week, and am enjoying being drawn into its melancholy, very Japanese mood.
- Listening to: I have the house to myself this afternoon – it’s very quiet (well, except for the screaming roosters outside). The girls are volunteering for the day at the county fair, and Brett is running errands for a while.
- Watching: Brett and I will probably finish up the Inspector Morse series this week, and we’re into the third season of Midsomer Murders, but I’m honestly starting to feel like we need a break from British mysteries. The girls are into cooking shows these days, so I’ve also watched some episodes of Chopped and Iron Chef America with them.
- Cooking/baking: We had some sour milk to use up, so Brett made pumpkin pancakes for breakfast this morning. I’m going to make enchiladas tonight to use up some tortillas, chicken, sour cream, cilantro and cheese that have been hanging out in the refrigerator.
- Happy I accomplished this week: I don’t think I accomplished anything special this week, just the regular everyday stuff (there’s that word!) that needed to get done.
- Looking forward to next week: Getting back to the beach!
- Grateful for: I have everything I want and everything I need, and I am so thankful I can finally grasp it. Do I still have dreams and desires? Of course. It’s taken me a long, long time to get to this place, but I am increasingly grateful every day for all that I have, and all that I have been given, and for the potential and possibilities that still await me.
- Bonus question: Can you list your five favorite songs? I was asked this question the other day, and it didn’t take me too long to come up with my list. I’m going to show my age because they are all older songs, but here goes: (1) Change It by Stevie Ray Vaughn; (2) Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits; (3) Spirit In the Sky by Norman Greenbaum; (4) Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix; and (5) One Way Out by The Allman Brothers Band. Can you tell I like rock ‘n’ roll and screamin’ guitars? I have always and still enjoy listening to all types of music (and having teenagers in the house keeps me somewhat current), but the five songs above have stayed favorites for forever.
So, how was your week? How is your Sunday afternoon going?